Parents across the country are beginning to make plans for their children going back to school in the fall. In the time of COVID-19, it has become even more important for parents to take extra steps to ensure the health and protection of their school-age children in Phoenix, AZ and other areas where schools and daycares will be open.
Here are a few health tips to keep in mind during the back-to-school season:
- Get a checkup: Kids should get an annual checkup anyway, but it’s especially important during the pandemic to get a checkup from the doctor before heading back to school. This is a good time to get checked for the virus, and to get caught up on any needed immunizations.
- Practice good hygiene: This is another tip that is useful at any time, but especially during a pandemic situation. Good hygiene is crucial to good health. Regularly wash hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 to 30 seconds (about the length of the “Happy Birthday” song), washing the front and back of the hand and in between fingers. Hand sanitizer should also be used whenever possible in between visits to the bathroom. If a child sneezes, encourage them to sneeze into their elbow or sleeve rather than into their hand.
- Practice good mask etiquette: It can be difficult for children, and especially the younger ones, to keep masks on their faces, but for those going back to in-person school this fall, it is crucial that they understand the importance of wearing masks and how to wear them properly. Face coverings should go over both the mouth and nose, and should be securely fastened behind the ears or head. You should make sure they avoid touching the mask as much as possible.
- Ensure good hydration: Kids should be encouraged to stay hydrated, primarily with water. Avoid unhealthy drinks packed with sugar, such as sports drinks, soda and energy drinks—there are too many other unwanted ingredients in these drinks that make them not a great choice for school-age children and daycare kids in Phoenix, AZ. Stick with water when possible.
- Stay active: The pandemic can make it easy for us to stay cooped up in our homes, but kids should still get out and be active whenever possible. Make sure they go outside and play and get regular exercise as part of their routine. This will help not only with physical health, but also with mental health and attitude.
- Get their routine going early: Over the summer, it’s easy to fall out of routines, such as bedtimes and wakeup times. At least a week or two before you go back to school, it’s a good idea to start getting your kids back into their school year routines so they are fully adjusted and ready to hit the ground running by the time the school year officially begins.
For more health tips for your daycare kids and school-age children in Phoenix, AZ, we encourage you to contact Magical Star Preschool today.